The mission of LIFT is to provide resources, advocacy and support to empower individuals to exit and recover from the impacts of commercial sexual exploitation.
LIFT is a survior-led organization comprised of individuals who have overcome commercial sexual exploitation as well as professionals who are sensitive to the needs of this under-served and marginalized population.
LIFT launched outreach programming to aid survivors of commercial sexual exploitation in the summer of 2014 and continues to grow with local support and recognition. LIFT officially became a non-profit in the fall of 2016.
Why is LIFT’s work important?
There is a wealth of misconceptions around women in the sex industry, the most common being that what is sometimes called “the Life” is a choice. But it is not that simple.
- The average age of entry into prostitution is 14 years old – younger than the age of consent to have sex.
- Upwards of 95% of those in prostitution were sexually assaulted as children.
- Around 70% of sexually exploited women meet the criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 75% have faced homelessness
- 80% are victims of rape
- 90% of women in prostitution want to leave immediately but feel they have little or no options. *
Understanding and addressing the layers of trauma is key to recovery from commercial sexual exploitation. LIFT can help.
“I’m happy to know there’s a place where I can come and feel safe.”
- Weekly drop-in program
- Referrals to medical, mental health and social services
- Weekly support group for survivors of CSE
- Outreach and advocacy
- Awareness raising
- Peer mentoring
- Training for community agencies
- Leadership opportunities for survivors