ABOUT LIVING IN FREEDOM TOGETHER (LIFT)
Living In Freedom Together (LIFT) is a survivor-led organization comprised of those who have overcome commercial sexual exploitation (CSE), and professionals sensitive to the needs of this vulnerable and marginalized population.
SURVIVOR-LED, SURVIVOR FOCUSED
We are dedicated to empowering and elevating survivors, and that includes within our own organization, starting with our CEO and Founder, Nicole Bell. Our bylaws require that at least 2 of our board member seats are filled by survivors, and all of our training curriculum is created and taught by survivors. Additionally, we offer internship, volunteer, and employment opportunities to survivors.
We work to end systems of prostitution through the implementation of the Equality Model.
The key components of the Equality Model include:
1) full decriminalization of those who are prostituted;
2) high-quality services for those in prostitution;
3) the act of buying sex is criminalized;
4) anti-sex-trafficking legislation be strengthened;
5) addressing/decreasing on-ramps to prostitution and strengthening/increasing exit ramps;
6) coordination of a holistic approach incorporating public information campaigns, education and training, and coordination of laws, legislation, and services.
This approach has now been adopted in Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Canada, France, Ireland and most recently, Israel.
LIFT was founded in 2014 and incorporated in 2016.
We are a survivor-led organization working to end prostitution and empower individuals to exit and recover from the impacts of commercial sexual exploitation (CSE). We raise community awareness through our advocacy work, and provide direct services, support, and resources to individuals through community outreach services.
We envision a society where survivors are no longer shunned, but valued as equal members of the community. Where they are partners in their recovery and their choices are honored. We envision a community educated on the realities of the sex trade, where organizations and community members work together to end prostitution. LIFT is dedicated to fulfilling this vision through our programs, partnerships, and advocacy.